Website Index Awards
In 1996 Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers (ANZSI) (formerly Australian Society of Indexers (AusSI)) awarded a Web Index Prize. This continued annually until 2001.
From 2001 the ANZSI Web Indexing Prize was replaced by an ANZSI Web Index Award which was awarded to any site at any time. The criteria for the award was that the site index maked a useful contribution to the retrieval of information from the site. Sites that qualifyed were entitled to display the icon shown below. This could be linked to a page on the ANZSI site giving the details of the award and listing awarded sites. The endorsement was valid for 2 years, and after that time the Web Manager could resubmit their site to have the endorsement renewed. ANZSI website endorsement was available to any site worldwide.
In 2006 ANZSI decided to no longer offer the ANZSI Web Indexing Award. This has now been taken over by the Web Indexing SIG Award.
To encourage high quality web site indexes and to promote the web indexing work of professional indexers, the Web Indexing Special Interest Group of the American Society for Indexing will begin awarding a deserving indexer the annual Web Indexing SIG Award for excellence in web site indexing.
2009 Award Winner
- Mary Russell, A to Z index to ANZSI website.
2008 Award Winners
- First Place - Rebecca Linford, UK Index to the English Department at the University of Dundee, Scotland
- Second Place - Michael Unwalla, UK Index to TechScribe
2006 ANZSI Web Indexing Award
- Australian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine site index. Judges comments. [PDF 36KB]
- Writer's Block, indexed by Fred Brown. This award was renewed in 2006.
- Queensland Environmental Protection Agency's website, indexed by Patricia Kennedy. This award was renewed in 2006.
2004 ANZSI Web Indexing Award
- Writer's Block, indexed by Fred Brown. Judges comments. [PDF 48KB]
- Queensland Environmental Protection Agency's website, indexed by Patricia Kennedy. This award was renewed in 2004.
2002 ANZSI Web Indexing Award
- PeopleSoft, indexed by Fred Leise. Judges comments. [PDF 38KB]
- Queensland Environmental Protection Agency's website, indexed by Patricia Kennedy. This award was renewed in 2002.
2000 Web Indexing Prize Winner
- Subject Guide to the Queensland Environmental Protection Agency by Patricia Kennedy, Librarian
- Comments on entrants [PDF 70KB]
1999 No Winner
- Comments on entrants [PDF 77KB]
1998 Web Indexing Prize Winner
1997 Web Indexing Prize Winner
- Faculty of Education Internet Guide by Christabel Wescombe, Fisher Library, University of Sydney
- Details of other entrants [PDF 95KB]
1996 Web Indexing Prize Winner
- Alan Wilson, Webmaster, Australian Parliamentary Library for a simple index to the information available from the Commonwealth Parliamentary Library's site and from other departments of the Australian Parliament. It also includes some related information available elsewhere.
- Details of other entrants [PDF 85KB]