Introductory book indexing course
May 3 | 9:30 am - May 4 | 4:30 pm$600
ANZSI Inc will be running a two-day introductory indexing course in Sydney at the beginning of May 2019. This course covers the basic principles of indexing with a focus on book indexing.
SMSA ( Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts ) at 280 Pitt St, Sydney, is a few minutes’ walk from Town Hall Station, and is also accessible on foot from St James and Museum stations. The closest car parks are World Square and Piccadilly (137 Castlereagh St).
Complete access to the meeting room is via a lift. An accessible toilet is available on the ground floor, which opens using a standard MLAK key, which can also be obtained from Reception on level 3.
There are no prerequisites. One exercise is emailed to students for completion before the course starts. You just have to bring a pen and paper. A workbook is provided.
This is a two-day introduction to the principles of book indexing. It includes:
- Indexing context (working with editors)
- Indexing processes (reading, highlighting, indexing, editing)
- Approaches to project planning, analysis of text, selection of indexable concepts, and indexing to the appropriate length
- Principles of indexing, including the wording of entries, and creation of cross-references
- Types of entries (subjects and names), elements of entries (headings, subheadings, locators)
- Names – special issues in the indexing of people, places, and organisations
- Alphabetical order, and other filing conventions
- Style of entries
- Editing and evaluating entries
- Indexing software – a brief introduction
The course is presented in workshop format, with some take-home exercises. Students receive a workbook. At the end of this course, students will be able to index a straightforward document but will need more practice to become professional indexers (see http://www.webindexing.com.au/indexing-training-and-work/ for a discussion of work opportunities in indexing).
Lunches and teas are provided. Please let us know if you have any special food requirements. We will take these into account if we can.
Course enquiries to Glenda Browne on (02) 4739 8199. On the day, contact Glenda on 0425 350 421.
Bookings and payments
Payment in advance is required. Click on the link below to proceed with payment:
Bookings are due by 26 April 2019. Late bookings will be accepted only if places are available. The society reserves the right to cancel the class due to unforeseen circumstances.
Cancellation prior to one week before an event refund in full less a $25 administration fee; Cancellation less than 7 days before an event 50% refund.